Growing up, there was a family I knew that had Hawaiian roots. Every so often they would put on full blown Luau parties with entertainment and food. They had groups of boys that would perform Haka (Maori war dance) as well as playing out combat scenes. These events were a staple of my childhood.
When it came to the food, they would have all kinds of different dishes to try in the spirit of keeping with the theme. One dish that always stood out to me was the Hawaiian haystack. It is extremely easy to put one together and the ingredients can be a wide range of options. While my dish is not an actual haystack, the shredded nature of the meat on top of some grain or noodle reminds me of the fond memories of the dish. The sweet flavors mixed with the earthiness of the brown rice (my favorite option) make for a satisfying dish.
This slow cooker meal is quick to throw together. Chop a few veggies, season some meat and put it all together. This is great for any day of the week so that you can have dinner waiting for you when you get home. This is also an easy recipe to prep in a gallon size freezer bag to save for later if you’re doing freezer meal prep.
Prep Time: 15 mins // Cook Time: 7 hours // Makes 6 servings
- 1.5 lbs pork tenderloin
- 1 large Onion (chopped chunky)
- 2 Red Bell Peppers (chopped chunky)
- 1 20oz can Pineapple Chunks (pineapple and juice divided)
- 3 cloves of Garlic (minced)
- 2/3 C. Less Sodium Teriyaki Sauce (Kikkoman)
- 1/3 C. Pineapple juice from above
- ½ tsp. each Salt, Pepper, Chili Powder
- Spray the crock pot with non stick spray. Layer the onion on the bottom of the pot.
- Lay the pork on top of the onions and season the meat. Top it with the bell pepper and garlic.
- Combine the teriyaki sauce and 1/3 C. of pineapple juice and mix well. Pour over the meat and veggies.
- Cook for 6-7 hours on low.
- Pull the meat out and shred with 2 forks.
- Return the meat to the crock pot and add the pineapple chunks for another hour of cooking. (feel free to mix up more sauce if you like the meat extra juicy and add for the last hour)