In my journey to get healthy and eat healthy, I decided to revamp some of my recipes and this will be the first! I love lasagna but for two people, a whole lasagna is just too much! So I decided to go with little serving sized rolls that are easy to portion out instead of guessing how much you cut off! These are still not “super healthy” but calorie wise they’re ideal for those Italian food hankerings!
Rice flour noodles are a great g-free option for any pasta dish!
- 6 Lasagna Noodles
- 3/4 C. Ricotta (I use low fat)
- 1/4 C. Mozzarella
- 1/8 C. Parmesan
- 1/2 lb. Ground Turkey
- 1/2 jar Favorite Marinara (I use Classico Italian Sausage)
- 1/4 C. Red Bell Peppers (chopped)
- 1/4 C. Onion (chopped)
- 2 tsp. Olive Oil
- 1/3 C. Raw Spinach
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Italian Seasonings
1. Get the pot of water for the noodles going. Make sure you add salt to help boil the water quicker (you’d be surprised how many people don’t know this!)
2. Start cooking the bell peppers and onions in the oil.
3. Once the water is boiling, add the spinach to the water. Boil it for 4-5 mins and then pull it out of the water and let it hang out in a strainer. **DO NOT DUMP THE WATER OUT** Separate it to the best of your abilities to help the water drain. Add in the lasagna noodles to the same water.
4. Throw the turkey in the pan with the peppers and onions. Season the meat and brown. Once the meat is done, you can set aside until everything else is ready.\
5. Mix the ricotta with the Parmesan and most of the mozzarella. Save just a touch for the tops of the rolls.
6. Once the noodles are done, drain and lay out on the counter or on a cutting board. Dab them with a paper towel so they aren’t slimy where you’ll be spreading out the cheese.
7. At this point, you need to squeeze out the spinach. Use a bunch of paper towels or a potato ricer. Chop it up and mix it in with the ricotta cheese mixture and start spreading on the noodles. Start small and go from there. You want to make sure there’s an even amount of cheese on each!
8. Turn the oven on to 325 degrees. Once the cheese is on the noodles, sprinkle the turkey on top.
10. Add the marinara to the remaining ground turkey and pour on top of the rolls. Top them with the last of the mozzarella and bake for 25 mins!