Being a picky eater can get old very quickly. My boyfriend and I are the pickiest of picky when it comes to a lot of different foods. Luckily we agree on most things but there are a handful of items that he just can’t stand but I absolutely love. Enter squash into the equation. I adore most squash. There are a few that I find overpowering and not to my liking but I’m pretty easy when squash is involved.
The best thing in the world about squash is how versatile it is. There are probably thousands of recipes floating around that have to do with squash in one way or another. I know I have at least 7 or 8 of my own (not including cookbooks)! The other great thing is that it’s easy to find year round.
This dish is something I like to make when I’m splurging a little on myself in the kitchen. I love to make pretty food and I’ve been working on my food photography and this recipe was just jumping up and down going, “pick me, pick me.” It’s mildly time consuming if you don’t have a mandolin but it’s delicious no matter how you get it done. And just to please the eye when making it, try to get the same size squash so they mix well in the layers.
The herbs and spices mixed with the strong onion compliment the zucchini and yellow squash. The touch of cheese on top is just a touch of richness but can easily be omitted to tailor to a diet.
Prep Time: 10 minutes // Cook Time: 25 minutes // Makes 4 Servings
- 3 Yellow Squash
- 3 Zucchini
- 1/4 Onion (cut in half, sliced thin)
- 2 Tbsp. Parmesan
- 1/4 tsp. each: Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp. Mrs. Dash Onion and Herb Seasoning
- 1.5 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- Slice the squash with a mandolin or with a knife. I generally stick to about 1/8”.
- Drizzle the olive oil on them and mix well.
- Cover a cookie sheet with tin foil and spray with non-stick spray.
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Start layering the squash. If you’re OCD like I am, alternate zucchini, yellow squash, repeat. Then sprinkle the onions on top.
- Once it’s all laid out, season well with all the above.
- Put it in the oven for 25 mins. Add the Parmesan when there’s 8 mins left.